Friday 21 June 2013

Lucy Wise and the B'Gollies at Kulcha


As a general rule, if a band uses a ukulele as one of their primary instruments, for me it falls a little too far along the ‘cute’ scale. You know when folk music just feels too sugary? But at Kulcha on Saturday night Lucy Wise and the B’Gollies crept up on me with light dancing feet, swept me up in their warmth and nestled themselves into my heart. Consider me a complete uke-convert.


Image courtesy of the label

This music is the perfect balance of the elements of folk. The lightness of the tenor ukulele – who we’re told is called Tony, with the richness of the double bass, called Mortimer. There are shades and levels of light and dark. It’s sweet but soulful, fresh but full. With trundling syncopation and folky minor chords it feels like magic.

I want to dedicate a whole paragraph to an unidentifiable quality to Lucy Wise’s voice. It is depth, warmth, colour, a sort of oaky flavour. But I just can’t seem to articulate it. I suppose there is magic in that. You will just have to listen to understand what I mean.

A few B’Gollies seemed to be missing – and I would have loved to have heard the piano-accordion, but the remaining two had such a presence. Fiddle player Chris Stone moved so beautifully with the music. I could feel the joy in what he does – he just can’t contain it. It buckled his knees and his hair fell across his eyes as he bended with the flow of the music. Holly Downes wore a dress with large green polka dots and was absolutely mesmerising. I always feel like double bass players are really dancers, with a beautiful elegantly stoic wooden partner, whom they guide through wambling bass lines.

Lucy Wise’s stage presence is gentle and graceful. It’s all so beautiful in a pure and wholesome way. And there is a genuineness that I adore – I think she puts it best in her song Little Bag when she sings “you can see what’s hiding in plain sight.” There is such value in music that has no performance, no pretence. I feel the artist gives so much, gently but boldly and intimately. And I walked away from the gig feeling so much fuller and richer.

Lucy Wise’s words are poetry. With vivid imagery of hats with feathers, bike rides through the country, well dressed birds and love songs dedicated to hot air balloons, her songs are free, warm and lovely. I love imagining what inspired her to pen such sublime words.

Kulcha as a music venue is fantastic. It feels sophisticated and jazzy. We sat in a long narrow room, only as wide as the stage. It is an intimate space – a perfect environment for this special music.
I’m completely hooked on how this music lifts my heart. It is just so joyful.

Words by Fiona Hugo

This was published at http://colosoul.com.au/colosoul_2.0/?p=19309

No comments:

Post a Comment